Cincinnati Water Line Repairs and Water Line Services
Water lines bring fresh, potable water into your Cincinnati area home from a municipal water source or well. The main water pipe runs into your home through the basement, crawlspace, or slab, depending on the type of foundation your home is built upon. With the water line underground, it is generally protected and is able to last for a great many years.
Unfortunately, problems do arise with underground water lines, creating the need for water line repair. Changes in the Earth surrounding the line and even conditions of water moving through it, such as high water pressure, can damage the integrity of the line and cause a leak or break. While you cannot clearly observe damage to a water line, there are signs that indicate the likelihood of damage to a water pipe which help Cincinnati homeowners know when to call for water line services. Sometimes it is possible to repair water line damage, though other circumstances warrant replacement.
Water line issues require the help of a skilled plumbing contractor. If you believe your main water line has been damaged and is leaking, call Thomas & Galbraith Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today to request repair services for your water lines.
What Causes Damage to a Water Line?
The main water line serving your home can be affected by surrounding conditions and more, and changes in this environment could cause damage to the line that results in plumbing system issues with water supply in your home.
Some of the common sources of water line damage include:
- Freezing and thawing of the earth surrounding the line
- Soil shifting around the line
- Tree root penetrations
- Damage caused by pests and rodents
- Wear and tear
- Mineral deposits inside the water pipe
- High water pressure through the pipe
Types of Water Line Damage
Through any of the circumstances above, the buried water line on your Cincinnati property could be damaged, resulting in:
- Cracked water valve
- Pipe cracks
- Corroded piping
- Mineral buildup
- Broken sections of pipe
How to Spot a Broken Water Line
Because you cannot see the damage a water line might bear underground, the only ways to know if you may need water line repair is to carefully observe conditions throughout your property. Certain signs are closely associated with underground water pipe leaks. If you recognize such a sign, you know to call your plumber to inspect the property for possible water line repairs or line installation to replace broken sections of pipe.
Signs a broken water line can produce include:
- Low water pressure from plumbing fixtures across the home
- Discoloration of water supply, which shows the possibility of a break in the water line that has allowed dirt and debris to infiltrate
- Vibrating noises from the home’s water lines when there is no water in use
- Foundation cracks
- Sudden, unexplainable water bill hikes
- Mold and/or mildew growth on the lower levels of the home
- Wet spots and/or puddles on the lawn, which are especially noticeable when there hasn’t been much rain
- Wet spots inside the house on carpeting or at the subfloor level
- Bubbling waterflow out at the street
Any of these signs is a reason to call Thomas & Galbraith Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. If you suspect underground water line damage, our plumbing team will inspect and identify existing leaks, then present you with recommendations to repair water line damage. Contact us today and request an appointment for repair services.
Do I Need to Repair or Replace My Water Line?
It is difficult for Cincinnati homeowners to know whether damage indicates the need for water line repair or replacement line services. There are various situations where either option could be advantageous. As you decide which repair route to take, keep the following in mind:
- What material is the water line made of? Not all materials are repairable, like galvanized steel for example. A plumbing professional from Thomas & Galbraith is able to determine water pipe material and advise you if repair or replacement is an option.
- How old is the water line? Most water lines offer an average service life of around 50 years. If your home’s water line is 50 years old or older, it’s wise to go forward with replacement so you can avoid old age issues in the future.
- Has the line been repaired before? If this isn’t the first time you’ve had water line repair, recurrent problems can be an indicator of impending failure – you may want to look into line installation to replace that old line now.
- How much does each option cost? If repairs to the line cost 50 percent or more than the price to replace the line, consider investing a little more and pursuing replacement rather than repairs.
Repair Services for Water Lines in Cincinnati
If an underground water leak is suspected, a Thomas & Galbraith plumber can utilize video inspection equipment and see within the pipe. The length of the pipe is inspected, looking for the point of damage and the type of repair issue present. The interior conditions of the lines are also evaluated to assess quality.
Pipe repairing methods are used in order to repair water line damage and restore function of the plumbing system. Trenchless water line repair is the preferred method for many reasons. With little equipment and pretty much no disruption to the yard, repairs can be made without the invasiveness of a traditional excavation repair.
When making water line repairs, trenchless technology applies a lining to the water pipe from within. This lining seals any leaks and basically creates a new sealed pipe within the broken one. When water lines need to be replaced, trenchless equipment moves new piping in as it pulls out the old, damaged line.
Water line repairs performed using trenchless methods take less time to complete and require no serious excavation or digging. There’s no need for an expensive excavator or digging up a yard just to find a leak. Your water line issues are taken care of without creating a new mess for you to deal with in the yard.
This method of water line repair can be used to repair or replace most any issue that arises in your home. Gain effective replacement and repair services without suffering through the disruption of traditional water line repair methods.
Pros of Trenchless Water Pipe Line Installations
- Trenchless technology allows for the faster completion of line repairs and replacement, getting the job done in just a day or two.
- There is no serious excavation, just a tiny mark in the yard. Property owners don’t have to worry about plumbing repairs wrecking their beautiful landscaping.
- These repairs don’t require heavy equipment, so they are performed more affordably.
- Water lines installed by trenchless means last longer than those laid through excavation.
Earning Trust Since 1977
Thomas & Galbraith Service Area
The Thomas & Galbraith team works throughout the following zip codes shown on the map. Don’t see your location on the map? Call us… we’re growing every day!
Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: (513) 327-2578